Check out all the different ways how to open a bottle without a bottle opener.
In this article:
- How to Open a Bottle with Paper
- How to Open a Bottle without a Bottle Opener by Using a Countertop
- How to Open a Bottle with a Lighter
- How to Open a Bottle with a Ring
- How to Open a Brewski with a Belt Buckle
- How to Open a Bottle with Your Teeth
- How to Open a Cold One with a Car Key
- How to Open a Bottle with a Hammer
- How to Open a Beer Bottle with a Car Seat Belt
9 Ways How to Open a Bottle Without a Bottle Opener
1. How to Open a Bottle with Paper
Do you only have a piece of paper and a bottle and no means of popping the cap? Read on.
- Get a standard piece of paper and fold it in half over and over again until you no longer can.
- Grip your folded piece of paper and your bottle tightly in each hand.
- Place the upper edge of the paper just below the rim of the bottle.
- Hold the piece of paper down tightly with your thumb.
- Use the base of your palm and with an upward motion, forcefully hit the bottom edge of the paper up to pop the bottle cap.
2. How to Open a Bottle without a Bottle Opener by Using a Countertop
You can also do this on any surface as long as it has a cornered edge.
- Shove the cornered edge right underneath the cap.
- Make sure you have a tight grip on the bottle with one hand so the bottle doesn’t drop when you smack it.
- Smack the bottle with the palm of your hand. The force should shoot the bottle down and open the cap.
3. How to Open a Bottle with a Lighter
If you or your friends smoke, chances are one of you have this in your pocket. Let the malt flow.
- Grip the bottle of the neck real tight with one hand.
- Make sure your index finger’s crook is right in front of the bottle’s collar – the indented part immediately below its lip but before the neck. This will serve as your fulcrum.
- Take your standard lighter and make sure its bottom width is roughly equal to the size of the collar and insert inside the hook made by the index finger near the bottle’s collar. The lighter should lie horizontally.
- Prop the end of the lighter just below the edge of the cap.
- What you want to happen is to lift the entire cap and not just the edge. Just lift the lighter and pull outwards to get the cap off.
4. How to Open a Bottle with a Ring
Daddy or Mommy want to take a swig? The ring’s the bling to remove the bottle’s crown off.
- Open your hand with the ring, palms facing outward.
- Take the bottle lip and hook up the cap in the upper part of the ring.
- Close your ring hand over the top of the bottle while making sure the bottle cap stays hooked to the ring.
- Hold the bottle firmly with your other hand.
- Simply roll your ring hand over to part the cap from the bottle lip.
5. How to Open a Brewski with a Belt Buckle
What holds your pants up also has the power to part the cap from the brew.
- Do this if you’re wearing a belt. Unfasten the end of the leather to expose the buckle because you’ll be using the inside of the buckle’s frame to lift the cap off.
- Turn the buckle upwards and insert the bottle’s lip inside the frame.
- Let the edge of the cap rest on the inner edge of the buckle frame or on the prong of the buckle and try to jack the cap off.
6. How to Open a Bottle with Your Teeth
Warning: You can chip your teeth if you try this.
Also, no one will want to drink from the lip of a bottle anointed with your saliva. You can’t do this if you’re tending a bar.
- Hook the tip of the cap onto your lower teeth preferably those immediately after your canines.
- Bite your upper teeth down on the cap of the beer bottle.
- Maintain a tight grip on the beer bottle.
- Use the bottle as a lever and lift it up to unseat the bottle cap.
Canine Tooth Definition: The long and slightly pointed tooth also known as a fang, dogtooth, or eyetooth
7. How to Open a Cold One with a Car Key
Your car key is literally the key to downing a cold one before you hit the road (not literally, though — don’t drink and drive).
- You’re outdoors, with a cooler but no bottle opener? No problem. Take your beer bottle and close your hands real tight over its collar.
- Make sure the cap is still a little exposed and it’s not totally covered by your grip. Let your car key lie horizontally directly under the edge of the bottle cap.
- Squeeze the bottle hard with your grip, and with your other hand, twist the key to lift the cap off. Enjoy your beer.
8. How to Open a Bottle with a Hammer
If you’re the garage and someone brings over a bottle without the proper tool to pop it open, just use this trusty tool to do it for you.
- Hold the neck of the bottle tightly with your dominant hand.
- Take a hammer and turn it upside down because you’re going to use the claw.
- Put the edge of the cap over the edges of the two prongs of the claw.
- Lift the hammer and the bottle cap away from each other to remove the cap.
9. How to Open a Beer Bottle with a Car Seat Belt
Your car’s belt buckle isn’t only a safety device, it can also help you if you want to get inebriated at a tailgate party (again, don’t drive and drive).
- Hold your bottle by the neck tightly.
- Take the edge of the seat belt buckle and put it directly at the edge of the cap.
- Lift the buckle and jack the cap off the bottle.
Watch how to open a bottle using a spoon from this video by wikiHow:
A brewski’s always a boon wherever a bottle pops up, but sometimes a bottle opener isn’t always available. That’s why knowing what tools you can use and learn how to open a beer bottle without a bottle opener should be among your essential life skills.
What other unusual stuff do you use aside from these nine common items? Give us your answer below and expand our repertoire of beer-opening hacks.