Men sure do love their steaks—but most probably enjoy the eating part more than the actual cooking. No wonder articles like this exist in the Internet. Want to learn how to grill steak? How long should it take? We’ve listed down answers to nine of new grillers’ most frequently asked questions. If you tend to burn steaks, read on to save good meat.
How to Grill Steak | 9 Steak Grilling FAQs Answered
1. How Do I Grill Steak on a Charcoal Grill?
Grilling on a charcoal grill might be the manliest way to cook a steak. With no help from electricity or gasoline, this is probably the closest you’ll ever get to cooking like our cavemen ancestors. To grill a perfect steak, here are some of the things you need to do:
- First, remove the grill’s top grate and set it aside.
- Pile coal or briquettes at the center of your grill and light them.
- Let the charcoal burn for 10 to 15 minutes or until they’re covered in white or gray-colored ash.
- When the coals are hot, move them over to one side of the grill to make a two-zone fire.
- Place the grate back onto the grill and brush it with an oil-soaked paper towel.
- Let the grate heat up for another 10 minutes, and then it’ll be ready for your steak.
2. How Do I Prep My Steak for Grilling?
Aside from preparing your grill, you also need to prep your steak. Below are some basic tips for prepping:
- Remove it from the refrigerator, and set the steak aside for 30 minutes.
- Pat the steak dry and generously season it with salt and pepper.
- Lay the steak on the side of the grill directly over the coals.
- Sear the steak for about 3 minutes. With a pair of tongs, flip it to sear the other side.
- Once your steak is seared-off on all sides, move it over to the side of grill with no hot coals.
- Cover the steak and let it cook until it reaches your desired doneness.
- Use a meat thermometer to take the temperature of the steak as it grills.
- When the steak reaches your desired doneness, take it off of the grill and let it rest on a cutting board for about 10 minutes.
- Loosely cover the steak with aluminum foil to keep it warm.
3. How Long Does It Take to Grill Steak?
How long do I grill a steak? Two factors: thickness and doneness. The thicker the steak, the longer it will take to cook. How well-cooked you want the meat to be dictates how long you should leave it on the grill.
For example, if you’re grilling a one-inch steak and like it medium rare, grill each side for about 4 to 5 minutes. To have the same steak rare, grill each side for roughly 3 to 4 minutes.
4. I Don’t Have an Outdoor Grill. Can I Grill a Steak Indoors?
No grill? No problem! With the right indoor cooking techniques and tools grilling a steak in your very own kitchen shouldn’t be impossible. Toss a hearty glazed fillet of beef on a pan or oven, voila—a delicious home-cooked steak dinner.